We’re so excited to have Alaa on board as our very first YSR Ambassador! Alaa is a highly skilled swimmer, currently competing and a member of the Refugee Olympic Team. Alaa is originally from Syria but currently lives and trains in Germany amongst the world’s best athletes. He is also very experienced in weightlifting and nutrition, which compliment his intense training regime to ensure he is able to perform his best. For Alaa, swimming is not only a sport or means to lose weight but a skill that can save ones life! For this reason, Alaa is passionate about teaching swimming to people on the move, who make increasingly more precarious journeys to safe countries for asylum. He recently travelled to Lesvos to teach the YSR community on the island and has shared his knowledge of healthy lifestyle practices and gym routines. Welcome to the community, Alaa!
We recently welcomed a new YSR ambassador to the team – Jason Nemer. Jason is a bit of a celebrity in the yoga world, having been a pioneer of acroyoga, a mix between acrobatics, therapeutic movements, human connection, aerial balance and yoga, in the early 2000s. He later founded Acroyoga International and has developed a leading Acroyoga Teacher Training that has contributed to the training of countless acroyoga instructors and practitioners. More recently, Jason has been interested in expanding the practice of acroyoga to q broader practicing community, including informal classes with migrant communities on the US-Mexico border. For Jason, acroyoga can depend relationships to self and others; it “inspires people to see the world with a new lens”. We’re so excited to welcome Jason onboard. Through his support, we see opportunities for new workshops and trainings and community jams across both Greece and Europe more broadly. His community is passionate about the power of physical and collective practice to bring people together – something that YSR aligns with wholeheartedly.
Become an ambassador for our organisation?
Are you interested in supporting our work and joining our global community to challenge segregatory policies and inhumane treatment of people on the move? Are you an athlete or sport professional interested in giving back to vulnerable but resilient communities? Are you inspired to create positive change in the world?
A key component of YSR is ensuring that programs are diverse and inclusive, and genuinely assist those experiencing the stress of displacement. And what better way to do this than through creating communities made up of a wide range of inspiring athletes and advocates that demonstrate the power of sports to bring people together!
Ambassadors will be:
- Provided a network of dedicated and passionate teachers and students, including those who resettle in Greece, and those leaving to other European countries.
- Included in YSR events, trainings, workshops, retreats and social activities.
- Connected to an array of other clubs and charities in Europe motivated to support people on the move.
- Featured in YSR social media content (posts, reports, articles and blogs).
In exchange, ambassadors are encouraged to:
- Assist in the development of our teachers through mentorship (online and face-to-face)
- Support and connect YSR teachers and students who leave Greece to clubs, competitions and communities in other countries
- Promote the organisation within their network, at events and on social media
- Assist in the organisation of fundraising events or donations to YSR to support its ongoing running costs.